Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Reading time

March 27

Snuggled under the fuzzy purple blanket we read a story outside today. Morris the Moose is our current favorite. We have it almost memorized and find ourselves reciting long passages in the car in call and response form. Our favorite line is of course the end when Morris says, "I made a MOOSEtake!" This is now our family term for mistake and always brings a smile.

I have a box of books by the easy chair in the living room. Books hand picked by me. Books I love to read again and again. Yes, they are classics like Blueberries for Sal, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Make Way for Ducklings, and Caps for Sale. But I've come to see them as part of our family history. These were the books I listened to on my mother's lap and they are just as amusing, fanciful and sweet as they were a generation ago. Each has a reassuring narrative arc. Each brings the readers into a world they would not usually experience. Each gives us characters to relate to and love. Such is the joy and the beauty of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment