Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hidden Treasures

May 11

 It is Mother's Day weekend and I just want to get out with the whole family. Rain is on the way but we jump on our bikes and head out. My husband sets the pace on foot and we head toward the park.

Next to the road I drive so many times every day there is a nice wide bike path, a railing, and then a wide deep ditch. A place for extra rain water I suppose or maybe where a natural creek bed once was. I glance over and see the a garden of wildflowers down the side of the bank. A little hidden burst of color. I can't see them from the car, and even if I could would I notice? Probably not. Now I know that these bright yellow and violet flowers are growing here. Once the blooms are gone I'll remember the flowers and smile as I peddle past.

Further on our journey we cross a little blue bridge. Looking down my little one shouts, "Look! A waterfall." There it is, a tiny rapid and a little stream. Invisible from the road just yards away.

As we head up the final hill to the park it starts to sprinkle. We turn and head for home. By the time we are on the final sprint it is pouring and we are all singing It's Raining, It's Pouring at the top of our lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment