Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let's Get Outside . . . Right NOW!

Yes today is New Years Day and my family should be winding up a nice long relaxing break from school and work, but instead we have been cooped up for ten days with fever, cough, upset tummy, you know- sick kids and then sick parents. Today I'm finally feeling good again and as I look out at the pouring rain melting the ice from last night and I think, "when was the last time we went outside?" Hmm, not sure. And while I'm all for hunkering down with hot tea, homemade blanket tents, and tag in the house, I also really really like to be outside. I grew up in the woods and spent almost all of my free daylight time outside. When and how did my family and I end up spending so much of our free daylight time inside? Yes, we've been sick, but that has just been the last two weeks. What about our habits? What about the "normal" days when I realize that the only time I've been in the "fresh air" is the parking lot between my car and the supermarket?

And since I've been in the contemplative mood considering New Years resolutions I began to think, "maybe I should put 'getting outside'on the list." But that seemed a little weak. Then I remembered an interview I heard about a man who read a book a day in 2012. Wow! Sounds great, but I haven't got that kind of time. Then it hit me, remember that book on the shelf: Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids. I picked it up and there it was, a chapter about going outside with kids in JANUARY!! I read the ideas and looked outside, it was now getting dark, and it was still raining. I turned to my daughters who were watching TV and said with a big grin, "Who wants to go outside and play RIGHT  NOW?" They jumped up and shouted, " Yes! ME!!!" "ME, me, me!" This was all I needed to hear, if this idea was exciting enough to tear them away from the tube, then I could wrangle some boots and rain coats.

So this blog is my story. A crazy idea to chronicle a year of getting outside again. I'm making a commitment to getting myself and my kids outside for at least 15 minutes a day, every day this year.

Stay posted. . .

Leyani

P.S. For amazing and inspirational ideas for fun outdoors with kids check out Rebecca Cohen's Book. Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids


No comments:

Post a Comment